Tuesday, October 11, 2011

10-11-11 Big Dawg Bash Rehash

Back at home from a nice long weekend in San Diego at the 2011 OPT Big Dawg Bash. San Diego in October is amazing. I competed in the first ever OPTathlon held at CrossFit Invictus and was at the same time pleasantly surprised and disappointed at my performance.

Event 1: Find 1 RM Clean and Jerk in 10 minutes.
Event 2: Standing triple jump
Event 3: 500 m. row , rest 90 sec, 500 meter row
Event 4: 150 double unders + AMRAP Wall balls & Burpees in 7 minute time frame.
Event 5: 16lb. reverse shot toss
Event 6: 3K track run.

Results:
Event 1: 220#. This felt very easy and given that I am three months out from shoulder and bicep surgery I am extremely happy with this. Had I used my time wisely I would have gone heavier


Event 2: 23 feet 6 inches. Had a longer jump but faulted. Very fun challenge.


Event 3. 1:40 and 1:40. Disappointed here. I just did not open up the way I should have. I think I was initially worried about the 90 seconds not being time to recover and held back too much, too long. 


Event 4: 230 points total. Happy with this performance. Ran 100 unbroken double unders with a heavy rope and then another 50. In fact I was the second one in my heat to finish the rope work behind games contender AJ Moore. Tried to stay with him as long as I could at the wall and ended up hanging in there fairly well. Felt at the end of this like I belonged there.


Event 5: 29 feet 6 inches. Another fun test. No way to be disappointed here. Just a great test.


Event 6: 12:55. Not really thrilled with this but I understand it. I really have not run this distance before and didn't know how to pace it. I got off with AJ and Adam to a nice start that ended up being a little too fast for me. As I slid behind about 100 meters I was in a gap where there was no one and my pace dropped. Next thing I know, Ben Kelly is on my right, slides in front of me and says "c'mon mate" in his typical thick Australian accent. Ben pulled me around for about 800 meters but it was too little, too late.  


I am very competitive. Whether playing horse shoes, trivia or CrossFit and I don't like not performing well. I also tend to be hard on myself. In spite of the fact that just a little over 2 months ago I was in a sling...I expected myself to perform better than I did. I have some work to do and i am willing to do it and that is all there is to it.

2 comments:

  1. Still an inspiration to all of us!! Job well done Anthony!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely thought I was one of your followers till i checked. i am now a follower. anyways, great job in the OPTathlon, it was great to meet you and everybody else who made the trip from RedLine! very good job on event 1, esp after shoulder surgery!

    ReplyDelete