Thursday, June 30, 2011

Injury Update

I have been absent for a few days....I am up to date on my training and my last few days have been pretty good. I feel very good about the progress of my squat. The single leg and tempo work has built a solid stable base and I enjoy squatting for the first...I really enjoy squatting.

The real reason for my absence is I have sustained or at least exacerbated a left shoulder injury. In addition to some degeneration of the AC joint, tendonosis and impingement, I have a tear of the subscap. Apparently this is a fairly uncommon tear but one that can account huge decreases in strength and range of motion. I have felt both.
For example, standing with both arms straight out to my sides, like wings, with my palms down, I can rotate (externally) to a palm up position my right hand but I can barely manage to get my left side to rotate half of that.

X ray and MRI's are done. Tomorrow I have an appointment with the PT of of the orthopedic surgeon I have chosen. I am prepared for them to attempt to place me on a physical therapy regimen only to put me into surgery a few months later, however I am not prepared to accept this as a suitable course of treatment. 
If surgery is the fix, I want it scheduled and done as soon as possible so I can get my recovery started and get back to training. My goals have not changed even though my physical state may have...

As far as dealing with this mentally goes...I am good with it. I understand what my body needs to operate at its full capacity. Being the researcher and student that I am, I will just treat this as an opportunity to learn and understand. I have been dealing with this injury for much longer than I should have and during this time I have made huge gains, done well as an athlete and even better as a Coach. To be at 100% and able to put forth the effort I am capable of will make me even better in both regards. I am following the lead of OPT athlete Nathan Holiday, who took control of his recovery and used the time to develop a deeper awareness and understanding of his body.
I am also being guided by my Coach, friend and mentor James FitzGerald. Had a Skype call today with James and I always come away from these feeling very motivated, creative and in answer seeking mode. Having someone like this in my corner is very important and valuable to me. As a Coach I am constantly tapped for information on nutrition, lifestyle, technique etc.. etc.. but for years I had no one to go to for my own questions. James has my back...

So onward from here...

No comments:

Post a Comment