Sunday, April 17, 2011

04-17-11

I have had a little nose and throat cold for the last 3 days and really didn't put forth the effort to get the blog done. It came on a three break from training so I just laid low at work, took it easy at home and I should be good to go in the next day or so.

Spent some time reading other athletes blogs and checking out what they are doing with their training and nutrition. Nathan Holiday and Joey Warren both have excellent blogs with lots of good information. These guys are young and the future of the sport.

While I was sick I thought about stress, cortisol and the fight or flight response that, in cops, probably gets triggered 10 times more often than most "civilians". I thought about the consequence of a career of these exposures. I know how I feel about an hour after a critical incident like a fight, foot or vehicle chase or being on a particularly gory scene.

Stress is perceptual and not the same for every person. What is stressful for one might be relaxing for another.

I handle the physical / combative aspects of my career just fine...kinda wish for more sometimes. I particularly love foot chases...as most people who have worked with me know.

What I don't handle well are the sometimes gory bits of law enforcement...I know that these are a stress to me. Unfortunately, I don't get flee in these situations. Yesterday I was dispatched to one of these stresses. I work in an area with lots of produce packing houses. A maintenance man at one of the larger houses was fixing a large chain driven sorting table. The kind that are manned by 30-40 people on either side, sorting and culling good fruit from bad. At some point, (this is where the gore starts) the machine turned on and his hand was run through one of the gears amputating it and leaving him unconscious on the floor in front a hundred people. What was once his hand was a mess. I am very aware of and can feel the physiological effects that this has on me. Not a good day....

Diet has been spot on in spite of not feeling well. Going to add some digestive enzymes this week and see how it effects my digestion and absorption. I need all the help I can get right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment