Thursday, March 17, 2011

03-17-11

I had training to do today that was built especially for me and there to address my needs as an athlete. I did not do it though. No instead I competed in the first event of this year's CrossFit Games Opens.

As many rounds as possible in 10 Minutes of 30 Double Unders and 15 Power Snatches @75#.


I came into it only for the experience and to be a leader for our members and visitors. I wasnt really expecting much, after all I just had a back injury and I have been doing a mass gain with little to no met con. None of that mattered after 3, 2, 1 Go!

The first round was fast and unbroken and then I dialed it back and just pushed along at around 85-90%. I tried not to dig too deep, took my time in transition and got chalk when I needed it. I even dabbed a little sweat of my brow. I felt quite good that my aerobic capacity was in order and my power production was good. I shut it down 10-12 seconds early and put up an even 6 round score good for 270 points.

A few observations;  as a good pupil of Coach Burgener I maintained my hook grip the entire time I had the bar in my hands which killed my forearms and made gripping the rope a little tough. Also after the 4th round I switched from a snatch grip width to a clean grip width and found all kids of new speed. I think had I started in the clean grip from Go, 7 rounds was doable for me.

It will be tough for me not to compete each week as the events are released and I guess I will play it by ear as this happens. I know my goal is the 2012 opens but its hard to resist.

FOOD;
Breakfast: 4 eggs + 3 oz chicken
                2 Pieces of bacon
                3 cups of spinach and 12-15 spears of asparagus
                coconut oil

Pre Workout- 2 Scoops BCAA+G

Post Workout- Coconut Water
                        8 Oz Goat Milk
                       40 grams Grass Fed Whey
                       45 grams Maltodextrin
                       2 Scoops BCAA+G

1 Hour Later- 7 oz. chicken
                      Large sweet potato


Late Afternoon- 8 Oz. Goat Milk


Dinner- 8 oz Steak
            4 Cups Brocolli
            Guacamole
 

4 comments:

  1. a little wider than where I clean from actually but much more narrow than a snatch grip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you find that's easier on your shoulders? That's my biggest issue with snatch/overhead is that my shoulders are my biggest weaknesses so they fatigue really quickly

    ReplyDelete
  3. In this event I went with a standard snatch grip until things slowed down significantly and I started getting slow in the turn over. That's when I switched grips. It isn't necessarily easier on the shoulders but it allows more speed right off the floor instead having to wait until the bar is above the knees.

    ReplyDelete