Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Day1 03-08-11

Today is day 1 in what I consider a project in my finding my true potential as a competitive CrossFit athlete. For too long I have let my own biases towards training get in the way of real progress in strength training. Wanting to get into a met-con and feel that hit of adrenaline versus working on my front squat has been the theme.  As far as the general walking around population goes, I am quiet strong and very athletic. However, when compared to others in my chosen sport, CrossFit, I have some weaknesses that must addressed in order for me to progress to the next level of competition.

This blog will detail at least the next 9 months of my life as an athlete. With the help of my friend and mentor James FitzGerald from Optimum Performance Training I will go about developing a strength base on top of which I can layer all of the skills and athleticism I have gained through CrossFit. Videos of certain movements will be posted as requested by James for analysis as well as my diet, supplementation and general thoughts on the training, recovery, mood etc...

Goals from the outset; increase bodyweight and lean body mass for a May 1 weigh in of 185 lbs. Currently 175 lbs. Increase absolute strength.

Training: 

Build to an 8 RM Split Squat @ 3010; Rest as needed  (Video Attached)
Build to an 8 RM Powell Raise @ 3010 during rest from Split Squat
Sorensen- as many seconds as possible.
+
A: DB Split Squat @3010- 12,10,8 Rest 1 minute between sets
B: DB Back Ext. @4022- 12,10,8,6 Rest 3 minutes between sets
C: FLR  2 attempts

8Rm Split Squat - 55# per hand. Tempo was slow but intent was there. http://vimeo.com/20847973
8 Rm Powell Raise - 20#. Again tempo was slightly an issue.
Sorensen AMSAP- 126 seconds. Lower back injury was on my mind. Had more.

A: 25#, 30#, 35# lbs DB per hand. 
B: No weight on first set, 8# - 10# - 15#

C: 1:10 and :58
Lower back is feeling better. Rest, ice and electric stim at the chiro. Did some feeling out to see how it would react. Back Ext felt good surpisingly. Should be ready to pick it up here in the next few days

Food:
am: 2 Chicken Sausage w/ 2 Eggs
      3 Cups Mixed Veggies Sauteed
      3 Cups Spinach
      Walnuts
      Coffee and 6 Oz. Goat Milk

late am: protein bar (30 grams protein)

pre-workout - 2 scoops MRM BCAA+G

Post Workout - 8 Oz. Goat Milk
                         40 gms Grass Fed Whey
                         45 gms maltodextrin
                          2 Scoops MRM BCAA+G

1 Hour Later: 2 Salmon Burgers
                      2 Cups steamed veggies
                      1 Apple
                      Walnuts

Busy evening with no access to food. Standing a post on VIP detail for Former President Clinton

10pm - 12 Oz. Goat Milk

Not a typical day of food but one that pops up from time to time due to my schedule. 


No comments:

Post a Comment